Prior to the second semester of the senior year, each student must complete an approved cross-cultural or field experience. The requirement can be satisfied in a number of ways, including but not limited to:
- Semester study abroad.
- Summer study abroad (minimum four weeks).
- Summer language study abroad (minimum four weeks).
- Policy relevant summer jobs abroad (minimum six weeks or 240 hours).
- ROTC training.
- Senior thesis research in the field (minimum four weeks).
- Extended service in an underserved community (minimum six weeks or 240 hours).
- Internship involving public policy work in a nonprofit, government, or international agency (minimum six weeks or 240 hours).
Cross-cultural or field experience gained during freshman or sophomore years might count toward this requirement. All past or proposed work must be approved by the Undergraduate Program Office.