Richard H. Ullman Fellowship: FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

  • How many Ullman Fellowships will be awarded each year?
    • 1 or 2 fellowships will be awarded each year.
  • What is the amount of financial support for the fellowship year?
    • Approximately $40,000 to $45,000 (depending on whether the recipient is an undergraduate or graduate student).
  • If I am a foreign national, will I have to use my Optional Practical Training (OPT) if I choose to do my Ullman Fellowship work assignment in the U.S.?
    • If you are an MPA1 student or a Ph.D. student and you want to do your fellowship assignment in the U.S., the only way you can do this fellowship would be to work for a multilateral or international organization that will change your visa status to G4 for the year out. (NOTE: You are not allowed to work more than 20 hours per week in the U.S. if you use your OPT time for this year out, which would disqualify you from being able to accept a full-time Ullman Fellowship.)

      However, if you want to do your fellowship work assignment overseas, your I-20 will be extended for another year by Princeton and you will not use up your OPT time. Either way, you will be placed in “In Absentia” status for the year out of your degree program.

      If you are a graduating student and want to work in the U.S., you must then use your Optional Practical Training for the twelve months of your work assignment.

  • Is the Fellowship taxable?
    • Yes. A one time payment will be made in the month of May. Please consult your tax advisor with any tax related questions. 
  • What about health insurance?
    • Continuing WWS students will be covered by Princeton University student health insurance through “In Absentia” registration status. Graduating students will be responsible for providing their own health insurance.
  • May I defer starting work if I am selected for an Ullman Fellowship?
    • No. MPA1 students must do their fellowship assignment directly after completing their first year in the MPA program. Ph.D. students must do their fellowship assignment only after they have passed Generals. MPA2 and MPP students must do their fellowship assignment directly after graduation. SINSI students must use their fellowship funds for the first or second year of their two-year SINSI work assignment.
  • Is a commitment to accept an Ullman Fellowship right for me?
    • Before applying...

      • If you will be graduating next year, ask yourself if you prefer to do this one-year fellowship rather than taking a permanent job directly after graduation.
      • If you are an MPA1 student, ask yourself if you want to take a middle year out or would prefer to complete your degree on time with your class?
      • If you are a Ph.D. student, ask yourself if you would prefer to do this one-year fellowship rather than completing your dissertation more quickly.

  • Will SINSI Scholars receive Ullman Fellowship funds in addition to their SINSI funding?
    • No. No additional money will be provided; Ullman Fellowship funds will cover your first or second year SINSI work assignment. You will become part of the Ullman Fellows alumni network and be invited to events where you will meet Professor Ullman’s friends and colleagues.