WWS Calendar

Reception to Celebrate the Naming of the Arthur Lewis Auditorium

Apr 18, 2018 05:00PM to 07:00PM
Location: 
Robertson Hall
Arthur Lewis Auditorium
Audience: 
Open to the Public, Registration Required
Speaker(s): 
President Christopher L. Eisgruber

RSVP required at https://goo.gl/forms/FmbNnkOREjiWtqrR2

About this event:

This event is an open house-style reception from 5-7 p.m. A 10-minute video tribute to Sir Arthur Lewis will play on a continuous loop from 5-7 p.m. University President Christopher L. Eisgruber will give remarks at 6 p.m. This event is free and open to the public.

More information:

As part of a University-wide effort to recognize diverse individuals on campus, Princeton University has named the main auditorium in Robertson Hall for Nobel laureate Sir Arthur Lewis (1915-1991), who served as a Princeton faculty member from 1963 to 1991.

Sir Arthur Lewis was knighted in 1963 and received the 1979 Nobel Prize in Economics. Lewis’ Prize recognized his pioneering research into economic development, with particular consideration of the problems of developing countries. Over the course of his career he published more than 80 professional articles and wrote 12 books.

Among his many achievements, Lewis served as first president of the Caribbean Development Bank (1970-1973) and first economic advisor to the government of Ghana (1957-1958). He served as the first West Indian-born principal and then vice chancellor of the University of the West Indies, and chancellor of the University of Guyana. At Princeton, Lewis served as a professor of economics and international affairs, and later was appointed the James Madison Professor of Political Economy.

The recommendation to name Robertson Hall’s auditorium for Lewis was made by the Council of the Princeton University Community Committee on Naming, which was established to advise the University’s trustees on the naming of “buildings or other spaces not already named for historical figures or donors to recognize individuals who would bring a more diverse presence to the campus.” The new name of the auditorium took effect July 1, 2017.